By Nindy Grewal CNP, LBA, B.Ed
Cauliflower is loaded with vitamins and minerals that are beneficial to the body. It is both anti-inflammatory and antioxidant-rich, and boosts both your heart and brain health. It is rich in Vitamin C, Vitamin K, magnesium, phosphorus, plus so many more powerful nutrients. It is high in fiber which supports the digestive system. Cauliflower supports the detoxification processes in the body and can actually prevent cellular damage. It is definitely a super vegetable! If you are not incorporating this vegetable in your diet yet – you need to start today!
Cauliflower can be used in many recipes. Below are some ways you can start to add cauliflower to your meals:
- Lightly saute cauliflower florets with a turmeric, sea salt and pepper as a side dish to any meal.
- Finely chop or grate cauliflower to use as a substitute for rice (especially if you are trying to reduce or go grain free).
- Boil and mash cauliflower into your mashed potato dish (easily hidden in colour and flavour, so great for kids).
- You can add cauliflower to macaroni and cheese to up the nutritional value.
- Follow the cauliflower ginger soup recipe featured below!
- 2 T coconut oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 green chili pepper (optional)
- 1 inch knob of fresh ginger, grated
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 T cumin powder
- 1 T coriander powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup of water, vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1 tsp Himalayan salt or sea salt
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 2 T chopped cilantro
- In a medium stock pot, heat the coconut oil for 30 seconds on medium heat.
- Add the cumin seeds and stir until they begin to crackle.
- Add onions and cook until raw smell goes away.
- Add tomatoes, stir and cook until they soften.
- Add the ginger and garlic until fragrant. Do not burn.
- Add green chili pepper.
- Add all the dry spices.
- Add the cut cauliflower pieces and stir constantly to coat.
- Let cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add coconut milk.
- Add water or vegetable or chicken broth
- Cover pot and simmer for about 15 minutes. Stir often to prevent burning.
- Blend soup with blender or with hand blender until smooth.
- Add chopped kale and garnish with chopped cilantro.